Skip to main content

Celebrity Corner - Malaika Ballantyne



This weeks’ corner feature’s the ever beautiful and talented MALAIKA BALLANTYNE. I was blessed with the opportunity to sit with this enthusiastic young lady a couple of weeks ago for an interview for ‘Let’s Talk Glam Today’.
Malaika is a vivacious 27 year old young woman who is currently front-line with the band IMIJ & CO. It all started for her at the tender age of nine, she found her true love, it was performing arts, and music.
She's since then made it her business to be involved in every school event that ranged from drama, singing, dancing and pageantry and modeling. As she grew older, she ventured out into more National Competitions. Some of the (Calypso) competitions she’s competed in are:
1.       Young King Calypso competition
2.       Prime Minister’s Best Village competition ‘Choir folk song category” – 2nd place
3.       Miss La Reine Rive 2012 – 1st place
4.       National Queens Calypso competition  2013 – 4th place
5.       Stars of tomorrow 2013 – 4th place
6.       San Fernando Monarch 2013 – 6th place
7.       Couva Calypso Monarch – 5th place
Ms. Ballantyne has proven to be a very versatile individual; some of the activities she’s been involved in thus far are senior dancer with the group ‘Los Ninos School of Dance et al’, a member of Concept Studios Modeling Agency coordinated by Dexter Jennings, she has even launched her own Miss Cultural T&T Competition where she gives young women a chance to showcase their original arts and/or talent. Malaika says it is her way of giving back to the art form, in gratitude for her own successes.
10 Questions with Malaika

1)      How did it all start?
It all started when I decided to enter DIGICEL RISING STARS 2013.

2)      What do you like most about your profession?
I love the fact that I can express myself freely, even though I have standards.

3)      Who has been your biggest inspiration thus far?
My biggest inspiration thus far is Kerwin Du Bois; for obvious reasons. He is filling the spaces that Soca lacks and making the new era a very interesting one for young upcoming artistes like myself to follow.

4)      If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?
If I can go back in time I will not do anything differently, it’s all a lesson for me.

5)      Something about you we (the public) don’t know?
The public doesn't know (and believe) I can cook. LOL

6)      What plans do you have for the future?
In the future I have a few collaborations to do, locally and I will also like to have a few solo tracks.

7)      How has your life changed since joining the band IMIJ & Company?
This band has changed my life because I feel three times more connected to live music and performing than ever before. It has taught me how to work extremely hard and use my time wisely.

8)      What are you listening to on your ipod & what’s your favorite song these days?
These days, I slap in some Dianne Warrick and Amy Winehouse, I love their music. My favourite song is ‘Our day will come’

9)      What’s the most exciting experience since you’ve been in the entertainment industry?
Most exciting experiences so far has been competing in Digicel Rising Star and my performance with IMIJ & Company at Normandie All Inclusive.

10)   Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to start singing or pursuing their dream?
My advice is and will always be, GO FOR IT!!!



Malaika’s fashion sense reciprocates her effervescent personality. She's sexy but manages to keep it classy all the time whether in heels or flats. Below are some of the looks that she featured while performing and partying during carnival 2014. We love it Malaika - KEEP IT UP!!! From the 'let'stalkglam' squad.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Correct Way to Exfoliate Your Skin: Step-by-Step

As we age, the process of cell regeneration slows down. This means that the body is slower to shed skin cells and generate new ones. When old skin cells start to pile up on the surface of the skin, it can leave skin looking dull, rough, and dry. Furthermore, the build-up of dead skin cells can result in excess oil and clogged pores, leading to blemishes and acne. Proper exfoliation removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging the skin and uncovers fresh new cells below. This opens the way for moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, which makes them more effective. In short, a regular exfoliating routine will leave your skin looking fresh and healthy. Remove make-up - If you wear makeup, remove makeup first, there are a lot of make-up removers currently on the market both liquid and wipes. However for a cheaper, more natural alternative coconut oil or olive oil can be used for both face and eye make-up and baby wipes can be used for those with sensitive

LOTN - 'Enchanted' (Review)

Lipstick number two out of the three that I purchased from the Intense Collection by SACHA. In my last post I talked about the texture etc.. and I also mentioned why I absolutely love these lippies. So this post is just to show how the colour ‘Enchanted’ actually looks. Here it’s paired with L.A. Colours eye liner in ‘P615 Violet’

My addiction (make-up haul)

Since school is out and there’s no traffic, I've had extra time to browse around beauty supply stores before and after work (don’t ask lol). So far this week I’ve been able to pick up a few things that I’ve been meaning to get for a while now. I haven’t gotten a chance to use any of these babies yet but I promise as soon as I do I will post my reviews. NYX Mosaic Powder Blush in CafĂ© – I saw this and instantly fell in love.  I love that this is mild and not too pigmented, it’s perfect for giving me that gorgeous glowing finish that I’m obsessed with. NYX HD High Definition Eye Shadow Base – I came across a review about this particular product on youtube and decided to give it a try. I haven’t gotten the Urban Decay Primer (that everyone has been raving about) as yet so I would use this in the interim. Milani Lipstick in the colour Sweet Nectar – This a bright orange lip colour that I kept putting off getting, not too sure why though because orange is one of the